back to homepage
List of organisations and contact details
1. Woman and Earth Global Eco-Network (WE), 467 Central Park West, Suite 7 F, New York, New York, USA, 10025 T + 12128668130 F as phone , http://www.dorsai.org/~womearth , email: womearth Publish almanac in English & Russian, produce eco/women videos, annual world conference, film festival, expo, international and girls chapters, lectures
2. Women against Rape (WAR) PO Box 287, London NW 6 5 QU, T 02074822496, F 0207209476, crossroadswomenscentre , Grassroots multi-racial women's organisation provides counsseling, information, legal advocacvy and campaigns for justice, protection and compensation for rape survivors
3. Women in Black, London c/o The Maypole Fund, PO Box 14072, London, N 16 5 WB, T 0171 482 5670 f as phone, http://www.chorley2.demon.co.uk/wib.html , jane Women in black is aloose network of women worldwide committted to peace with justice and actively opposed to war and violence
4. Women in Prison, unit 3 b, 22 Highbury Grove, London, N5 2EA, T 020 72265879, http://www.womeninprison.org.uk , admin , Support group for women in prison
5. Women's Environmental Network (W.E.N.), PO Box 30626 London E1 1TZ, T 02074819004,http://www.gn.apc.org/wen , info , WEN is an organisation which researches and campaigns on environmental issues, informing & empowering women to implement change. Men can join, too.
6. WoMenwith Womyn's Peace Camp, Kettlesing Head Layby, nr. Harrogate, N.Yorks HG3 2RA
7. Women's Bank 151/13, E-Zone, Seevali Pura, Borella, Colombo 8, Sri Lanka, T (94-1) 681355 womensbank
8. Women's Development Bank Federation, No. 30 Kandy Road, Galtotmulla, Yakkala, Sri Lanka, T (94-33) 27962/27396, janawomented
9. Aldermaston Women's Peace Camp awtt or sian Monthly camps Fri-Sun at Aldermaston Nuclear weapons stablishment near Reading. Workshops, street stalls, arrestable/non arrestable actions, fun, networking
10. Asian Women Prisoners Support Group, c/o Instrument House, 207 -215 Kings Cross Road, WC1X 9DB, T 02077137907
11. Baby Milk Action, 23 St.Andrews Street, Cambridge, CB2 3AX, T 01223 464420, F 01223 464417 , www.babymilkaction.org , info We aim to save infant lives by calling for independent, transparent and effective controls on the marketing of the baby feeding industry worldwide. We coordinate the International Boycott of Nestle.
12. Black Women For Wages For Housework,
P.O.Box 287, London, NW6 5QU, T: 020 7482 2496, F: 020 7209 4761,
13. Burghfield Women's Peace Camp, c/o
39 Westwood Rd, Southampton, SO17 1DN, T: 01703 554434
14. Crossroads Women's Centre, 230A Kentish
Town Rd, London, NW5 2AB, T: 020 7482 2496, F: 020 7209 4761
crossroadswomenscentre , http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/crossroadswomenscentre/ , Crossroads (formerly Kings Cross Women's Centre) have been going strong for years. Very active women's centre involved in loads of campaigns - too many to mention here - so contact them for lots more information.
15. English Collective of Prostitutes,
Crossroads Women's Centre, P.O.Box 287, London, NW6 5QU
T: 020 7482 2496, F: 020 7209 4761, crossroadswomenscentre , The English Collective of Prostitutes is a network of women, Black and White, of different nationalities and backgrounds working at various levels of sex industry
16. Sellafield Women's Peace Camp, c/o
Cornerstone Resource Centre, 16 Sholebroke Av, Leeds, LS7 3HB
T: 0113 262 1534, cornerstone
17. Single Mothers' Self-Defence (SMSD),
Crossroads Women's Centre, P.O.Box 287, London, NW6 5QU
T: 020 7482 2496, F: 020 7209 4761, Single Mothers self Defense is a network of singlemothers who got together to defend our benefits, families and communities from government cuts in welfare.
18. Black Women's Rape Action Project, T: 020 7482 2496, F 020 7209 4761, bwrap , www.bwrap.dircon.co.uk , Offers advocacy, support, advice and self-help services for Black and Immigrant women and other women of colour who are surviviors of domestic violence, racist sexual assault, and asylum seekers fleeing rape and other persecution
19. Campaign against the Child Support Act (CACSA), P.O.Box 287, London, NW6 5QU, T 0207482 2496, F: 020 7209 4761
20. Choice in Education, P.O. Box 20284, London NW 1 3WY, www.choiceineducation.co.uk , info , Campaign in education is an independant monthly international newsletter for families choosing to educate their children out of school
21. Feminist Library, 5A Westminster Bridge Road, Southwark, London, SE 1 7 XW, T: 020 7928 7789, feministlibrary , www.gn.apc.org/womeninlondon , Promoting feminism and networking between women. Women- only discussion group at the library - alternate Tuesday evenings 6.30 pm
22. Older feminist Network (OFN), c/o Astra, 54 Grodon Road, London,
N3 1EP, T 020 8346 1900, www.ofn.org.uk
, rinar Bi-monthly newsletter/monthly
meetings (snd saturday of every month)/shared lunch/workshops/& or speaker/letter
writing to MPs, ministers etc. re issues involving older women. Challenging
both the ageism and sexism that older women suffer, and aiming to counter the
negative stereotypes older women suffer. We provide mutual support and exchanges
of ideas, and are mobilising the skills and experiences of older women in campaigning
for a better deal. Other groups: Older Lesbian Network, Association of Greater
London Older Women, Both at: 6 - 9, Manor Gardens, London, N7 6LA.
London area, elsewhere in UK and abroad. We produce a Bi-monthly newsletter: £6 for 1 year (6 issues), or £3 concessions. We also have a leaflet.
23. Real Nappy Association, www.realnappy.com , The real Nappy Association is the central source of information and advice on all nappy- related issues for individuals, local authorities, health professionals and the media
24. Wages Due Lesbians, P.O.Box 287, London, NW6 5QU, T: 0207482 2496, F: 0207209 4761, Multi-racial network campaigning for social, economic, civil & legal rights for lesbian women & against all form of discrimination
25. Wages for Housework Campaign, P.O.Box 287, London, NW6 5QU,
All of the above are extracted from the 2001 Schnews Yearbook Squall.
In case any of the above address doesn't work please contact:
anarchobabe and also email: schnews Thanks!
back to fempages
26. Lesbian Avengers, P.O. Box 501, London, SE21 7DS, They are a direct-action and street-theatre group fighting sexism and heterosexism. They are raising the visibility of lesbianism and lesbian issues using a sense of humour.
27. Southall Black Sisters, 52 Norwood Road, Southall, Middlesex, UB2 4DW Phone 020 8571 9596 Fax 020 8574 6781 Aims and campaigns Agitator's description: they are a resource centre and black women's group involved in struggles over racism, domestic violence, forced marriages, prisoners and more.
28. Tide Rising!, c/o P.O. Box 19, Penzance, Cornwall, TR18 2YP A new magazine for women in West Cornwall. The magazine was created out of a desire for a space where women could share and discuss information, opinions, events, etc.includes useful phone contact list for groups in Cornwall.
29.Women's Information Collective, c/o ACE, 17 West Montgomery Place,
Edinburgh, EH7 5HA We are an umbrella collective for individual and groups
of women looking at ways in which women can really take control of their health
(in the broadest sense of the word). Spring 2000 sees work on some zines and
publications and a day of free DIY health workshops in Edinburgh. The collective
is fairly new, so we've yet to see what occurs beyond these plans and projects.
At the moment mainly Edinburgh, although there are also women involved from Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Fife and the borders.
We have some publications - send SAE for current details. If any women readers have DIY health info/leaflets/zines to share or sell get in touch, it would be good to hear from you...
30.Women's News,30 Donegal Street, Belfast 1, Northern Ireland. T: 01232
322 823, F: 012322 438 788 , womensnews
http://www.d-n-a.net/users/dnetWeZM Irish Feminist monthly magazine. "We are a feminist collective which produces and provides a forum for communication between women, for women". Has an extensive contact list of women's groups throughout Ireland.
31.Women's Action Group P.O. Box 9384, London, SW9 7ZB Phone 020 7978 8214 We are a bunch of London women committed to taking Direct Action to challenge oppression and change the world. Area of activity Mainly London, but others welcome. Publications We produce a magazine called Kick which you can get from the above address. Donations appreciated.
All of these above are from Agitator!
So if there is something wrong with the listed above, please contact:
anarchobabe and agitator
back to fempages
Glasgow Women's Library, 109 Trongate, Glasgow, G1 5HD, Tel.: 0141/5528345, GWL , http://www.womens-library.org.uk , open tuesday to friday from 1 to 6 pm, sat 2 to 5 pm
WordPower, the special bookshop in Edinburgh a visit: 43 West Nicolson Street, EH8 9DB, Edinburgh, tel/fax: 0131 6629112, http://www.word-power.co.uk , email: info Wordpower provides an excellent service and advice on books about feminism and other radical topics.
Not in Edinburgh and not coming to in near future? Never mind, get in contact with AKPress then. Get the brandnew stuff and the classic literature from AK Press! http://www.akuk.com
Women in Black, Scotland, e-mail list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wibs , new launched group around september 2001, tel: 07761104609 to get involved or to get more information
North American womens groups etc.:
BITCH: Feminist response to Pop Culture, 3128 16th St., Box 143, San Francisco, CA 94103, ljervis Devoted to feminist analysis of movies, television, advertising, magazines, and sociocultural trends. Also spotlights women making alternative, progressive media.
FEMINIST MAJORITY REPORT: 1600 Wilson Boulevard, #801 Arlington, VA 22209, Tel: 703 522-2214, http://www.feminist.org News and reports on politics, culture, women's health, reproductive rights, events, career opportunities, and the multi-dimensional nature of feminism.
FIRE WEED, P.O. Box 279, Station B, Toronto, ON M5Y 2W2, Canada, Tel. 416 5041339 A feminist quarterly of writing, politics, art and culture. HA!, P.O.Box 1282 Carrboro, NC 97510, gmonster , http://www.ibiblio.org/hazine/ A zine for women's self expression.
MEDIA REPORT FOR WOMEN, 10606 Mantz Road, Silver Spring, MD 20903, Tel. 301 445- 3231, sheilagib Reports and commentary about the media's depiction of women and girls.
MOTHERING, 649 Harkle Road, Suite F, P.O. Box 1690, Santa Fe, NM 87505, Tel.: 505 984 8116, Fax.: 505 986 8335, mother , http://www.mothering.com Information on the experience of parenthood, not particularly revolutionary.
MS. MAGAZINE, 20 Exchange Place, 22 nd Fl., New York, NY 10005, Tel. : 212 5092092, Fax.: 212 509247, The founding magazine of the feminist movement, ad-free, national and international focus on issues affecting women.
THE NETWORK NEWS, 1325 G St., NW Washington, DC 20005, Tel.: 202 347 1140, Fax.: 202 347 1168 A bi-weekly newsletter focusing on women's health and related subjects.
OFF OUR BACKS, A Women's Newsjournal, 2337-B 18th St., NW Washington, DC 20009, Tel.: 202 2348072, Fax.: 202 234-8092 National and International news on feminist issues.
ON THE ISSUES, 29-28 41st Ave., Long Island City, NY 11101, Tel.: 718 7865000, Fax.: 718 784 9711 A feminist, humanist magazine of critical thinking.
RADIANCE, The Magazine for large Women, P.O. Box 30 246, Oakland, CA 94604, Tel.: 510 482 0680, info , http://www.radiancemagazine.com An upbeat, positive, empowering, quarterly magazine for women of all sizes of large. Encourages and supports readers in living proud, full, active lives, now, with self-love and self-respect. Not particularly revolutionary, has over 200 ads an issue.
TEEN VOICES MAGAZINE, P.O.Box 120 027 Boston, MA 02112 0027, Tel.:
617 426 5505, Fax.: 617 426 5577, womenexp
http://www.teenvoices.com A magazine that provides an interactive, educational forum that challenges media images of young women and girls.
THIS MAGAZINE, 396-401 W. Richmond St., Toronto, ON M5V 3A8, Canada, Tel.: 4169799429, Fax.: 416 979 1143, thismag Focusses on culture, politics, labor, and feminism in Canada and internationally.
TRADE WOMEN, A magazine for Women in Blue Collar Work, P.O. Box 2622, Berkeley, CA 94702, Tel.: 510 548 2099
WELFARE MOTHERS VOICE, 2711 W. Michigan, Milwaukee, WI 53208, Tel.: 414 342 6662, Fax.: 414 342 6667 WMV provides a voice to mothers in poverty who receive or have received public support for children.
WOMEN & ENVIRONMENTS, 736 Bathurst St., Toronto, ON M5S 2R4, Canada, Tel.: 416 516 2600, Fax: 416 531 6214, weed , http://www.weimag.com/ A look at how women interact, progress, challenge and harmonize within multiple environments.
WOMEN'S EDUCATION DES FEMMES, 47 Main St., Toronto, ON M4E 2V6, Canada, Tel.: 416 699 1909, Fax.: 416 699- 2145, cclow Publication focusing on issues related to women in higher education.
WOMEN'S HEALTH LETTER, 2245 E. Colorado Blvd., # 104 Pasadena, CA 91107-3651, Tel.: 626 798 0638, Fax.: 626 798 0639 The thinking woman's guide to wellness: offers sane and sound health and healing insights.
WOMEN'S REVIEW OF BOOKS, Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA 02181, Tel.: 781 283 2555, Fax.: 781 283 3645, gardiner Reviews books by and about women, in all areas including fiction, non-fiction and poetry.
BEYONDMEDIA, 59 East Van Buren, #1400 Chicago, IL 60605, Tel.: 312 922 7780 A video production orgainzation focused on public awareness of women's and girl's social change initiatives.
BLACK WOMEN IN PUBLISHING, P.O. Box 6275 , FDR Station, New York, NY 10150, Tel.: 212 772 5951, bwip , http://www.bwip.org An employee based trade association dedicated to increasing the presence- and supporting the efforts- of African heritage women and men in the publishing industry.
FEMINSTS FOR FREE EXPRESSION, 2525 Times Square Station, New York, NY 10108, TEL.: 212 702 6292, Fax.: 212 702 6277, FFE , http://www.well.com/~freedom/ Another webpage which seems to develop: http://www.ffeusa.org A national organization of feminist women and men who share a commitment both to gender equality and to preserving the individual's right and to read, view, rent, or purchase media materials of their choice, free from government intervention.
GLOBAL CINEMA CAFÉ, Central Jersey Branch of Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF), Charlotte Hussey, 125 Jefferson Road, Princeton, NJ 08540 , Tel.: 609 497 3998 Offers free monthly video programs with activist-oriented discussions on social issues.
NATIONAL WOMEN'S HEALTH NETWORK, 1325 G St., NW Washington, DC 20005, Tel.: 202 347 1140, Fax.: 202 347 1168 National center focusing on women's health and related issues. Publishes a bi-monthly newsletter for members.
WOMEN AND MEDIA NETWORK , http://www.ecuanex.apc.org/alai/wommed/ind-eng.html Focuses on gender-balance in access to expression and decision-making in the media, reaffirming the importance of fluid and pluralistic communication for women's full participation in society and promoting all forms of democratic communication.
THE WIMMIN'S ART AND TECHNOLOGY (TWAT) COLLECTIVE, 731 State St., Madison, WI 53703 Tel.: 608 262 9036, Provides a space for wimmin to share their creative abilities, work together in a collective structure, learn technical skills like construction and computer technology, and use art to create political and social change.
WOMEN FOR MUTUAL SECURITY, 5110 West Penfield Road, Columbia, MD 21045, Tel.: 410 730 7483, Fax.: 410 964 9248, foerstel , A network of women's organizations and individuals committed to making a paradigm shift in the world from a hierarchical and violent mode of society to a new cooperation and peaceful model.
WOMEN'S INSTITUE FOR FREEDOM OF THE PRESS, 3306 Ross Place, NW Washington, DC 20008-3332, Tel.: 202 966 7783, Fax.: 202 966 7783, wifponline , http://www.wifp.org/ Explores ways to assure that everyone has equal access to the public, speaking for themselves, so everyone's information can be taken into account in decision-making.
WOMEN'S LEADERSHIP PROJECT, Jan Strout and Jennifer Manlowe, 1834 Old Stone Mill Dr. Cranbury, NJ 08512, Tel.: 609 448 3819, jan.strout or jem45 Organizes media literacy workshops on "Images of Women and Girls Resisting Violence" to view and discuss the images of women in media, and then create strategies to identify what helps or hinders women from preventing the violence in our lives.
WYMN MICRORADIO, c/o Sherri Milam, Pueblos Unidos Building, 2211- A Hildalgo St., Austin, TX 78702 Women run and built a microradio station and collective.
These contact addresses are taken out of the 1999 project censored booklet "The progressive Guide to Alternative Media and Activism". However, there were some pretty dodgy contact addresses given, so, if you are in doubt that any of these above addresses are actually not left, not alternative, not updated and not helpful, please get in touch with me to eradicate them from the webpage.
back to fempages